hemyd

Default Got zapped by T.V. high voltage

I'll second that advice. I am not a professional serviceman, but have
repaired my own TVs. I did study a technical book on the operation and
troubleshooting of color TVs. On my original color TV I had this problem of
what appeared to be arcing, with the raster collapsing and recovering
spasmodically. Then there'd be a flash, and most of the transistors in the
TV would be blown. I subsequently read in a serviceman's magazine about a
capacitor in the EHT circuit which, when defective, can cause a massive
increase in the EHT voltage. I replaced that capacitor and the problem was
gone for good.

I welcome the professional servicemen here to correct me, as I am speaking
from a semi-ignorant level. The one thing I will say positively, is that the
EHT on a color TV is most DANGEROUS, much more so than on a B/W, and can
easily kill you, even without touching any components. As well as that there
may be some radiation. Unless you are very familliar with color TVs you
should refer the problem to a professional serviceman.

Henry
Australia

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

Arnold stewart wrote:

This TV (Electrohome/Mitsubishi Model 69CK03, Chassis UM2-C-10R) would
power up and immediately blow the fuse on the "cold" side of the circuit
board. On the "hot" side (power supply) after changing the bridge
rectifier, everything checks normal. I get 125 volts using a 100W light
bulb at the (removed) collecter of the HOT. I changed the flyback. The
fuse no longer blows, but the TV goes into shutdown. I removed the CRT
circuit board, then pressed the power button and got zapped by the high
voltage. No longer taking a chance with my finger on the power button, I
used a remote to turn on the TV. There's a cap between the two 120V
line inputs (.01mfd 250V). A piece of plastic surrounds part of the
circuit board. When powering up the TV, arcing occurs from one end of
the cap to the plastic. I checked the plastic. There's nothing under it.
This is arcing from one of the line inputs. I removed the anode from
the TV and measured the high voltage. My meter went up to 40K. I
disconnected the TV before it got any higher. No arcing occured with the
anode disconnected.
I think that the high voltage is crossing over from the "cold" side to
the "hot" side of the board. Or from the anode to the ground straps on
the TV tube, to all grounds on the board. Any comments?

Yes, indeed. With all due respect, stop! (while the
choice is still yours).

Take care.

Ken