Ken Weitzel

Default CD plays "scratchy"... why?

Al Kondo wrote:

My recent post about my CD/DVD player problems drew a few questions
about matter that I neglected to include earlier. Here are my

Laptop: HP Pavilion zt1230
DVD/CD player: Toshipa DVD-ROM SD-C2502
Operating System: Windows XT

The problem I am having is that the player is playing "scratchy" on
one CD I have to use for work purposes. It is a music CD and it was
purchased from a store. Here are the symptoms:

1. I can play the CD on another player and it plays fine
2. I can play other music CD's on the player in the computer and they
play fine.
3. Recently, I ran into the problem that the Drive designation no
longer showed on Windows Explore. Of course, this could have
occurred as I was trying to remove the player from the computer. I am
assuming that I need to reload the driver.
4. I found out that another CD player for this computer costs $341
from HP. Wow!

I would appreciate any suggestions that you may have.

Al Kondo

My wife does educational seminars and uses the cd player on her laptop
computer to play music for the participants during breaks. She
mentioned to me that the music sounded "scratchy" and wondered why. I
checked and she is right. So, what is causing the problem? Does the
player need to be changed, or, is there a cleaning procedure that can
be done?

Thanks, Al Kondo

What you might consider is visiting a friend who has
a nice system. Ask them to play it on their computer.

If it turns out that they can play it nicely, ask them
to rip it and reburn it for you.

Just a thought.

Ken