John

Default RCA Projection TV: P52152ST

(Jason D.) wrote in message ...
On 8 May 2004 18:44:55 -0700,
(John) wrote:

(BWL) wrote in message ...
Could be several things, most of them expensive to repair/replace.
1)HV splitter was arcing (the popping), and continuing to use the set has now
blown the horizontal output, causing the power supply to go into overload
shutdown (the squealing)
2) One or more (probably more) of the CRT coolant chambers is leaking, and the
fluid has contaminated the anode caps on the CRT(s), causing the arcing, which
has led to shorted horizontal output.
3) IHVT was arcing due to failed insulation, and continued running of the set
has caused shorted horizontal output.
Any of these problems will require experienced tech to repair.

I was told today that it was a High Voltage board and it would cost
450 dollars to repair. Is this about right or am I being ripped?

A touch high and statment from that shop makes me wonder.

High voltage is HV for short btw.

There is no such as high voltage board, that's singular purpose. That
chassis has combined items (micro this is "tiny computer on a chip for
user control and tv operation), video audio etc. Also on same board,
vertical and horizontal deflection circuits, horizontal also is part
of that generates HV output). This chassis is a older but very nice
and weird chassis: CTC169. Looks like shop may not be famillar with
it since this is been not in production for nearly 10 years but parts
are still available from RCA.

The description you gave me about the dying sounds right and not too
major. Major things like especially for projectors is changing
coolant or change a CRT in it, lot of work to reconvergence afterwards
but this is not like this. I think this lightbox also have fiberboard
shield that slopes inwards that had all wires go under and sides of it
to the three tubes and stuff. This one doesn't have coolant spill
issue if it has that shield feature.

Anyway to the point, Sounds like this shop may be not famillar enough
with this oldie and went for board swap. I don't like this way since
while back had went through this screw up. A fly by night shop
swapped in wrong mainboard in one of those 169 but luckily I had a
scrap chassis has correct board and respliced few wires that was cut.
I was surprised it worked at all before and after.

If you choose to do so, I'd consider doing:

Take chassis with you to another shop that is RCA authorized servicer
and have it estimated. I bet a decent shop should able to indentify
faults as HV splitter quickly. HV splitter is a black block with 5
red cables plugged in, it is frequent failures for 169 and other few
chassis from RCA in that vintage that use same HV splitter blocks and
bit fussy to change because of small rubber sleeves on wires is what
keeps HV from leaking out and stablizes HV wires from wiggling around
causing failures & ozone stink, also with care not to get wires from
bent while installlng wires back in.) along with few capacitors change
in power supply, should always do it regardless for that 169. That's
not major job, it is routine job for us and usually charge between
200-250 (minor, quickie jobs) to medium jobs (like yours for 350 or
so, note that cost is in canadian dollars.

Cheers,

Wizard

My Chassis is a ptk169.

Yeah, This is the shop that is doing the work for me, (they're not
RCA Authorized but they fixed my 27" Sony Wega Tv pretty well)

http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&lr...7261&oi=locald
..

Anyways, I used to work at a repair shop that IS RCA authorized, I
could probly get a second opinion from them and they might be able to
help me out if i was getting really ripped off. The thing is though,
I'll try to get a more detailed diagnosis from the current repair
shop. They wanted 435 bux as the price. I saw that those prices in
CANADIAN were less so, it makes me think. As soon as i get a detailed
diagnosis i'll be back here. I'd really like to knock that price down
alot, doesn't seem fair to me.

I'll keep alla yous posted.