James Sweet

Default Where to look for microwave oven fault?

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
"Ricky Eck" writes:

I will have to agree with the two previous post. Trouble shooting a
Microwave is quite a task sometimes. I used to work with them about 10
years ago, and they were complex even then. Now with the technology we

have
today, I wouldn't even open one up. Plus I don't have the equipment to

do
it anymore. Unless someone has a special trick, you will need more then
just an OHMS meter to trace a problem.

Huh? Dangerous if you don't know what you're doing yes, but complex? Hardly,
they're about the simplest appliance there is, really not much to them, a
magnetron, transformer, capacitor, diode, some interlock switches and a
control board, that's about all that's in there. Only thing I've ever seen
fail on the control board has been solder joints and occasionally the triac.
Most common problem is a blown fuse, microwaves are the only thing I've seen
regularly blow a fuse with no apparent problems otherwise. Next most common
problem is a bad interlock switch. Transformer almost never fails,
magnetron, diode and cap are all pretty easy to test, however I NEVER do
live testing on these, always unplug it and discharge the capacitor. I leave
a jumper clip across the cap until I'm done working in there, just don't
forget to remove it.