Ricky Eck

Default Where to look for microwave oven fault?

I will have to agree with the two previous post. Trouble shooting a
Microwave is quite a task sometimes. I used to work with them about 10
years ago, and they were complex even then. Now with the technology we have
today, I wouldn't even open one up. Plus I don't have the equipment to do
it anymore. Unless someone has a special trick, you will need more then
just an OHMS meter to trace a problem.

My suggestion. If you are not experienced with Microwaves, don't do it.
You could attempt it, but the money you will spend, will out the cost of a
new one. If you took it to a shop, you might get lucky and they get by with
using a used part, and find the problem right off the bat, the cost would be
low.

But if you insist on getting suggestions, my first thought was the
Magnetron, however, after reading Art's post, I have to agree with him.
There are several areas to check. There is something that is preventing the
Magnetron from working. You will have to track it down. But then again, I
am still working with knowledge I used 10 years ago. Technology has made
quite a bit advancements since then.

Once again, as the other's suggested, dispose of the unit, and get a new
one. If you insist on repairing it, take it to a shop that has all the
equipment and knowledge to work with them. If you decide that you want to
try it yourself, please be careful. I worked on a TV the other day that I
know I discharged the Flyback, and I still got a good jolt from it (nothing
life threatening, but enough to let me know I was careless upon discharging
it). Just be careful! (Ok, enough for me, I will step down from my soap box
now..

Rick

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 May 2004 15:19:29 GMT, "Matt J. McCullar"
wrote:

I double what Art said.

No offense intended, but microwave ovens are definitely NOT for
inexperienced troubleshooters. The high voltages inside can really put

you
in a world of hurt.

Besides, microwave ovens are so inexpensive now that you can probably buy
one new at Y'all Mart cheaper than a replacement magnetron would cost.

It bugs me to throw away something when it can be fixed. And I don't
shop at wall mart. I won't be trying to trouble shoot this thing
powered up. If it can't be done that way then I'll get a new one. I
know about high voltage and know enough not to mess with it. Can the
HV diode be checked with a VOM?
ERS