Ken Weitzel

Default Toshiba RPTV 50H72 - blue screen only

bharat wrote:
None of the sources I checked worked. The screen stays blue. No PIP
either. Video is certainly (as far as I can tell) in blue screen mute
mode (never heard of this before...but then I am not an expert on
these matters!!!:-)). I haven't checked CC input as per David. I
will check it tonight. RGB outputs on jungle IC are not what the
manual says they should be (staying HIGH most of the time as David
suggested).

Last night, I checked the voltages on the sync inputs on micro. The
H-Sync node on the micro is supposed to have 3.0V according to the
manual and it was showing 2.5 (my kids came back before I could check
it on oscilloscope...so had to give up). SCL1 and SDA1 (don't know
what these signals are...if you can post something about their
function, I will appreciate it) also are supposed to be 4.6V but were
showing around 4.0V. All these measurements are DC. Rest of signals
were showing expected (as per the schematic) voltages.

Can a 0.5V drop on H-sync cause blue_screen mute? I will have to
trace that one to see why that is low. Also, I will check all sync
signals on oscilloscope to check for proper waveforms. Is micro the
only circuit that will cause a blue-screen mute (BSM)? David had
listed a lot of reasons for BSM but only micro as the controller for
BSM. Another questions I have is how does the menu screen work if
sync signals are messed up? I thought all screen functions will be
needing sync signals and menu is certainly screen-based. Does this
mean sync are OK but something else is causing BSM or are menu sync
signals different from normal sync signals?

Gotta run....I gave my final and kids are lining up to know their
grades and I haven't graded the exams yet!!

Why does my posting take a lot longer (at least it seems to me that
way) than everyone else's posting? It seems David posted twice before
mine even showed up!

bharat

Hi...

I believe you'll find that the law calls for ungraded
papers to all recieve the default A+, or 4, or 100%;
whichever is best in your country.

I have one more tiny suggestion if I may? Keep in
mind it comes from an "old hat" as David so generously
called it

I, too, had never seen a blue screen (except for
Windows) so played around a little. Big 5 bedroom
house for one old man and one little girl, but lots
of TV's...

All connected to cable boxes. Tried them.
Turn the cable box off via remote, and the TV
mutes audio, the raster goes very, very
dim for about 5 seconds; then the tv automagically
shuts off. (seperate ac feeds)

One in the basement belongs to my cottage
neighbor, waiting for transport to the cottage
for fishing season opening tomorrow.
Plugged it in - snow and hiss. Stuck a
resistor lead into the rf input, poor picture
and sound or snow and hiss on all channels.

Wondered why the difference, worried over it for
a while, and finally found the difference.

User menu - choose "cable" or "tv". The sets
upstairs set to cable; the one in the basement
set to tv.

So - is it possible that the set you're working
on in the cable position with no cable box?
(switching modules would have also switched
eproms, might have been different)

Worth a shot, anyway.

Good luck.

Ken