David

Default Adapting a switching power supply...

"Michele Ancis" wrote in message =
In data Tue, 04 May 2004 15:54:21 GMT, David ha scritto:
=20
"Michele Ancis" wrote in message =

Hi,
=20

[CUT]
can think of is the voltage on the diode bridge...or across the =

"chopping"
transistor...
=20
Any suggestions are welcome
=20

=20
Michele, Many switching supplies use a doubler for 110 operation in =

the
line rectifier circuit. There is usually one wire to disconnect =

which
turns the rectifier into a non doubling full wave bridge. If you can
power it up on 110 and measure the DC feeding the switching =

transformer
primary, and it measures about 300 volts, than you have a doubler =

and it
can be rewired easily for 220 operation.=20
=20
David

=20
Thanks David! I had my friend to describe the rectifier and...yes, =

there is
a jumper connecting a common node for two series caps to one output of =

the
bridge..
=20
+---------+
| |
| / \
| / \
(~) +- -------+------+
| | \ / |
+---------+---/J\----+ D
| | =20
| --- =20
| --- C2
| |
+---------------+------+
=20
=20
I've done a simple simulation and this arrangement allows to have =

either a
doubled DC voltage (jumper ON) or a "normal" voltage (jumper OFF).=20
=20
That was of great help guys thanks a lot!
=20
--=20
email:

Glad to be of help. This how almost all computer power supplies handle =
110/220 operation. It is quite clever actually.
David