Bearcat

Default Help needed troubleshooting Sony KV-25XBR TV

OK, I know it's an old set, but I'm trying to keep it alive until the
digital sets drop to a reasonable price - besides, I have another set
for parts and the service manual, what I lack is trouble shooting
experience. The problem seems to come and go at short intervals, the
picture's colors are completely off - white text is black, the picture
is a lot darker than it should be, skin colors are very red. Here's a
link to a couple of pictures from a digital camera, one that's good,
and one that's bad. I probably should have paused the source so the
input was identical, but I didn't think of that until just now. The
service manual has a lot of good detail, but with no real experience
troubleshooting tv's, I'm betting there's someone out there that can
take one look at these pictures and say "Oh, there's problem abc with
the xyz circuitry" that I can then find the details of in the service
manual and track down the problem. Given the sheer number of discrete
components in this set, odds are it's something that a new part and a
few minutes with a soldering iron would fix.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bar...bum?.dir=/21c9

I've read the repair FAQ and the problem comes and goes very quickly,
no "fading" in and out of the problem, so I'm hopefull that it's not
just a bad CRT. At the same time I don't know enough about colors to
be able to say "It's full on red" (that doesn't seem to be the case,
otherwise why white text goes full black?)

Please take a quick look at the pictures and get me going in the right
direction!

Thanks!!