BillR

Default Airlock in capped off pipe

Greg W wrote:
Hi all,

Health warning : I am a complete numpty at plumbing and have never
done any plumbing work in my life, so you'll have to speak to me as if
I was a slighlty retarded kid...

So, here goes :

One of my sealed CH pipes is banging like mad when the boiler goes on.
I think I have located the noise to an underfloor pipe which used to
feed 2 radiators. These radiators have been removed in the summer and
the pipe capped off. However, there is still a 2m section of
horizontal pipe remaining.

From reading this archive, I believe an airlock might be causing this.
The question, you've guessed it, is what can I do about it? Do I need
to bleed the entire system (and if so, how?, and how do I fill it up
again afterwards, in particular wrt corrosion inhibitor etc). Or is
there a simpler way?

TIA

Greg

Drain the system and remove the 2m of pipe.
You may be able to do it without draining by using one of those pipe freezer
kits.
Inhibitor is best injected into rad air vent plug using one of those Fernox
cartridges, nb they are around £20 retail...