ron doctors

Default washing machine door lock

Sam Goldwasser wrote in message ...
(ron doctors) writes:

I havea Fridgerdaier front loading washing machine and since it was
new the door has buzzed after closing and when running a cycle. At
first it was tolerable but since then and now out of warrantee it
makes an awful buzz. Having takne it apart it has a simple solenoid
that is supposied to hold tight. Since the solenoid runs on 60 Hz
directly it loses it's magnetic field twice a cycle. Hence the buzz.
My ? is how did they expect it to be quiet when designed and how can I
be sure the new one ( $65!! ) will be any different.
I am sure that I can modify/add circuitry to the system , for about
$5.00 so that the solenoid is DC powered, at a lower voltage . Can
anyone offer their input to this.
I have searched the internet but I seem to be the only person with
this washing machine problem!

AC solenoids have a thick copper "shading" ring on the pole piece. It's
purpose is to delay the decay of the magnetic field so that the solenoid
will produce a more constant pull even though it's AC.

Assuming that the shading ring is present, it may just be a matter of
repositioning it for a slightly shorter or longer throw.

Thanks for adding this.. Id id check teh spcing on the solenoid and
the plunger di not seat fully, with some grinfing I made the fit
better and yes the buzz is reduced. However it still buzzes sometimes.
I have now made acircuit cost under$5.00 that does this:
1. It charges up a 22 mfd cap to 160 volts ( 120 x 2.8 )from the 120
line
2. Discharges the cap thru. the solenoid via sensitive-gate SCR.
3. Maintains the solenoid at about 16 volts by using a series resistor
to limit the current.
Parts are easy to get at Mouser.com and simple to solder together. The
washer door solenoid is now completely SILENT!! holds better ( DC )
and it closes very well.
If anyone is interested in the complete circuit I will post it, let me
know.