BR

Default Sony KV-32S40 has audio but no picture

I have a Sony KV-32S40, which I purchased in December of 1998. I have
not experienced any problems with it until today. I turned the TV on
today and everything was working fine as usual. After about 3-5
minutes the screen turned black but I still had audio. I turned the
TV off for a couple of minutes and turned it back on. It appeared to
be working fine until about 5 minutes later it did the same thing.
The screen just turned black. I turned the channels to make sure that
it wasn't the channel and turned on a different TV in the house to
make sure that it wasn't the cable. I let the TV set all day before I
tried turning it on again. After about a minute, the screen started
getting a bunch of lines in it and the picture appeared to be
shrinking from the bottom of the screen to the top of the screen.
Then the screen went black again. I again let the TV set for a little
while and tried it again. Now I don't even get a picture when the TV
comes on. I still have audio and can even switch channels, but there
is no picture. The red light on the front of the TV that says
"Standby/Timer" just keeps flashing. I didn't hear any noises when
the picture was going out. I talked to a repair shop today and they
said that the picture tube is probably bad and that it would cost more
to fix it than the TV is worth. I feel that I am a technical person
but I have never worked on a TV before. Does anyone know what this
sounds like or have any suggestions?