ron doctors

Default washing machine door lock

I havea Fridgerdaier front loading washing machine and since it was
new the door has buzzed after closing and when running a cycle. At
first it was tolerable but since then and now out of warrantee it
makes an awful buzz. Having takne it apart it has a simple solenoid
that is supposied to hold tight. Since the solenoid runs on 60 Hz
directly it loses it's magnetic field twice a cycle. Hence the buzz.
My ? is how did they expect it to be quiet when designed and how can I
be sure the new one ( $65!! ) will be any different.
I am sure that I can modify/add circuitry to the system , for about
$5.00 so that the solenoid is DC powered, at a lower voltage . Can
anyone offer their input to this.
I have searched the internet but I seem to be the only person with
this washing machine problem!