CJT

Default CD plays "scratchy"... why?

Al Kondo wrote:

My wife does educational seminars and uses the cd player on her laptop
computer to play music for the participants during breaks. She
mentioned to me that the music sounded "scratchy" and wondered why. I
checked and she is right. So, what is causing the problem? Does the
player need to be changed, or, is there a cleaning procedure that can
be done?

Thanks, Al Kondo

Is it just CDs, or all music played on the computer? My guess
is that one or both of the speakers have a problem (e.g. a hole
or a foreign object on the cone, or poor alignment of the voice
coil). The suggestion of the other poster (dirty lens) is also
a possibility, as is a software mis-configuration.