Mark (UK)

Default Changing LOPT in monitor...

You do monitor repairs, and have never heard of a Line OutPut
Transformer??

Mmmmm.

Robert Baer wrote:

Mike Deblis wrote:

Hi,

I know a bit about low voltage stuff, but I want to change the LOPT in an
Eizo/Nanao monitor.

I know the LOPT is faulty, as it arcs and pops when the monitor is running,
and after much effort, I've found a spare.

The monitor (an excellent F77) is probably not worth sending to a
professional to replace the LOPT as the s/h value is probably only USD
100-200...

What do I need to know about safety in order to change the LOPT? It's
certainly worth trying to repair as the picture quality is excellent, but
not worth dying for !

How do I ensure that there is no HV left in the chassis/tube before starting
work - the monitor has not been powered up for some time (month or so) at
the moment.

What special tools (if any) will I need?

I really don't like really HV stuff much (very healthy respect) and would
appreciate the advice...

Thanks from a slightly paranoid Mike...

Ignoring shipping charges, just to bench a monitor is $60 and
up...rather close to the cost of a replacement.
I have been an electronic technician for over 40 years, and never
heard of a "LOPT".
Housesomever, the way to render the HV on the CRT safe, is to first
connect a wire to the chassis and/or the bare wire running around the
outside of the tube (it is contacting the black aquadag on the outer
surface). Make sure it cannot become disconnected.
Then poke the other end (bare wire here) under the HV cap at the CRT
(anode).
Tape it down to the pix tube if you like, to ensure it will not fall
out or be pulled out.

Do your work.

Remove that wire fromthe CRT anode first, and then from the
chassis/ground wire mentioned.