Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Woodcraft vs Rockler

OFWW wrote:
brand.
This last comment reminded me of 8th grade metal shop when we made our
own chisels. The point was to pound out the 3/8" Hex cold rolled
steel, flatten it on both sides equally, file it, then heat treat it
by open flame and sand and oil for tempering. I forgot which came
first, oil or sand,

Sand is obviously for slower cooling, for removing some of the
brittleness of your hardened edge.
We made a center punch and a screw driver (among other things) in my 8th
grade class.

Bill

Come to think of it so did we. I remember turning the knurl on the
center punch on the metal lathe. Thought it was so cool, and then just
to operate the lathe, what a trip.

Thanks for the memories.

Likewise! :-)