The Natural Philosopher

Default Central Heating question

Mike Hibbert wrote:

Set Square wrote:

Mike Hibbert wrote:

Hi all,

I have been thinking about my central heating this morning as it
seems to be getting very toasty at the moment. We have a Combi boiler
(Worcester Bosch Highflow 400) which has a heat setting on it. There
are TRV on all the rads (except the bathroom - I assume to stop the
boiler overheating if the TRV's shut off) , but we dont have a room
stat.

Are the TRV's really temperature controlled or do they simply reduce
the amount of water the rad can get? If that is the case, then with
no room stat, the only way I can control the overall temperature is
by the boiler, so I have to go into the garage and turn it down/up.
Is this a normal set up?

Normally I would leave the heating on 24*7 during the winter and
control it via the room stat so it would get to a reasonable temp and
then switch off, but now if I leave the heating on the boiler tuns
all the time (this must be expensive!!) and the bathroom is like a
sauna. The missus loves it, but I guess the heating bills will be
huge!

Any thoughts?

Mike

Well, your system certainly wouldn't satisfy the latest building regs on
energy efficiency - because the system has to be capable of turning

itself

off when the heating demand is met.

The booer will turn itself off. It has its own stat on teh water temp.

Yes, but it doesn't measure the room temp, on nights when it has been cold,
I have to turn the boiler up or it gets cold, and then the next day the
place is boiling so I have to turn it down again. A room stat would give
consistency.

TRV's are room stats you burk!