Default Can I degauss my TV with a magnet?

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 10:10:51 -0500, "George R. Gonzalez"
wrote:

So much disinformation!

You can demagnetize the TV with a magnet, no problem, just takes 30 seconds
of careful waving it around. Start out close to the TV twirling the magnet
around so that both North and South ends of the magnet alternately point
toward the TV. Keep twirling while you slowly move the magnet farther
away. Keep doing this until you can't see any effects on the screen.

Don't worry very much about any *stationary* magnets, like speaker magnets
near your TV. The most they can do is make the whole picture deflect a bit.
If you don't notice any slant or twist to the picture, you can live with the
magnets. To get color effects, the magnets would have to be MOVING in order
to magnetize the CRT mask. Not moving ==no magnetizing of the mask == no
color funnies.

Of course a real strong magnet can deform or damage the shadow mask.
I had a co-worker who didn't believe me and stuck a magnet from a HD
on his monitor - permanent fuzzy spot. BTW, this magnet has no
problem holding a magazine to my office wall that has metal studs
under the drywall.

-Chris.