chris French

Default Boiler probs

In message , lodtop
writes

Got a combination boiler,it started leaking all over the place last
night.

Our house is a small 3 bedroom end terrace - the current boiler size
is 90,000 Btu/h and the one he recommended is exactly the same size,
this is despite telling him we are extending next year and would need
a bigger boiler.

So.......any recommendations? Should I get a new boiler now (condensor
or combi) or should I get a new heat exchanger fitted as we'll be
extending next year and will have to get a new boiler anyway?

Are you sure that you would need a bigger boiler? Combi's often have
spare heating capacity as they have to have the output to heat the DHW
anyway. A 3 bed terrace probably only needs around 50,000 BTU

We have a '100,000' Btu/h combi in and extended (extra room and bigger
kitchen) 3 bed 1930's semi. The old boiler was IIRC 50-60,000 BTU. The
heating output of Combis is adjustable. ISTR that when I installed our
combi (as part of an extended CH system) I set the heating output to
somewhere in the 60-70,000 range.

So I'd want to check if I really did need a bigger boiler first - do
some heat loss calc's on the projected extended house. Myson used to
have a free heat loss calculator to download, dunno if they still do.

However, if for whatever reason you would need to change the boiler next
year then renewing the heat exchanger doesn't seem worth it, given that
it's an expensive job.
--
Chris French, Leeds