ajb

Default Can I degauss my TV with a magnet?

On 10 Apr 2004 08:13:25 -0400, Sam Goldwasser
wrote:

"Nick Alexander" writes:

I have got some green patches on my TV since I moved my speakers too close
to the tube. Can I use a magnet to get rid of the colours?

In principle this is possible and I have used it in a pinch but the
proper AC degaussing coil approach is much easier.

Yes, dangerous but possible. You use the old watchmaker's technique - a
strong horse-shoe magnet mounted on the end of a hand-drill to spin it
fast.

As Sam says, "in a pinch".... and indeed I have used this method. But I
wouldn't advise it any more.
--
ajb

"If the spirit of the ruler rise up against thee, leave not
thy place; for yielding pacifieth great offences."
(Ecclesiastes 10-4)