David

Default TV Opinion

I just want to correct you on one point. LCD screens WILL have an effect
identical to burn in. I have seen it lots of times on computer lcd screens
that are used in business applications and left on the same image for hours
on end. It is just much harder to cause this effect than typical phosphor
burn in on an RPTV or Plasma screem.

In addition, I have seen a very odd failure mode of lcd screens that looks
like spider web failure of the lcd panel. This was NOT due to impact on the
screen. The cause of the failure was someone touching/cleaning the screen
and having a large static discharge into the face of the lcd screen. Thus
damaging many of the lcd cells that are right into the screen.

David

"Jerry G." wrote in message
Hi,

These displays are very fragile, and so are the CRT ones. It is just that
the CRT sets are too heavy to move, or be knocked over easily. The flat
screens are also very fragile. If your child throws a ball and hits the
front screen, or knocks it over, you may be buying a new one the next day!
It is true that the cost of a new display panel (when it fails), can

easily
exceed or be close to the purchase cost of a new set.

Normally the Plasma type should last about 30,000 hours, and the LCD type
should last over 40,000 hours. Most LCD screens of this type have
replaceable lamps inside (not user replaceable, but feasible to replace by

tech). The Plasma displays have no internal lamp. When the display unit

goes
bad, the unit will usually not be feasible to service.

If a still image is left up on a Plasma screen, it can burn in very

quickly.
An LCD screen will not burn in.

With all of these sets, there can be disposal problems, depending on where
you live. In some places you have to pay a disposal cost when getting rid

of
old things such as a TV set.

When a display panel is rated at 30,000 hours, this is the time factor

where
the illumination output will be at 50% of its normal specification. If you
use the set for 10 hours a day average (standard household usage with a
family), the screen should last about 8 years. At 1/2 output, it will
however look a bit dim, but is considered acceptable. Some people say to

cut
this in 1/2 again, and say it will last about 4 to 5 years maximum.

I personally found rear screen sets to look softer, and also they are more
critical to the angle of viewing when close up to them. The new ones are
improved a bit, but I was not impressed.

I also had some feedback about the LCD sets having some black shading
problems which annoyed some people. This would be an uneven illumination

in
the blacks, or dark areas of the screen. The LCD sets also have some

viewing
angle problems as well. But, overall they are very sharp and perform well.
In some cases the prices of the some of the Plasma screen models have
dropped to be less than some of the LCD screens in the same size category.
This was the opposite just a number of months ago.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"techforce" wrote in message
I have a general question. Compared to traditional CRT type Displays, are
not these more delicate / Fragile than the former? So say you have Kids,

and
they bounce around after School, and break / crack the Screen on a plasma
/LCD set. Is it not time to shell out for a brand new set, since a
replacement screen meets or exceeds the cost of a NEW? These days, if they
break the Outer Shield or the Lenticular Screen on a Projection Set,

theres
usually a decent chance you can get a shield or a Lense if the sets not

too
old, and still stay within economics of repair, much less pay a disposal

fee
if the set is BER. Which also poses another question about disposal of

these
new types of TV you mention. Are there at least the same disposal problems
facing us with these as well?

"Jerry G." wrote in message
| Here are some interesting questions:
|
| I would like to have an opinion about what someone would think is the

best
| choice of technologies, considering if one was to make the purchase of

an
| HDTV. After this year, CRT technology type TV sets will no longer be

made