Spehro Pefhany

Default Reliability of TI/BB DCP02 DC-DC converters

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 10:40:11 -0700, the renowned Jim Stewart
wrote:

Another issue you may want to look at is the size
of any output capacitor that you put on the unit.
I know that I didn't read the data sheet carefully
with some Power Conversions units and burned up a
couple samples before I caught the problem. Too
large of an output capacitor will lunch the driver
transistors on startup. This might have happened
to your tray of parts.

Thanks. I'm actually under the recommended value for this. That
doesn't sound like a very good design that would die from too much
capacitance on the output. I'd expect them to be able to take a dead
short without dying, let alone just charging up a cap. 8-(

The tray of parts came from another company (now defunct) so I'll
probably never know what they were up to. Date codes are all 1999.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany