Greg Neff

Default Reliability of TI/BB DCP02 DC-DC converters

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 10:40:11 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

(snip)

Another issue you may want to look at is the size
of any output capacitor that you put on the unit.
I know that I didn't read the data sheet carefully
with some Power Conversions units and burned up a
couple samples before I caught the problem. Too
large of an output capacitor will lunch the driver
transistors on startup. This might have happened
to your tray of parts.

We have been using ceramic capacitors (a few uF) on the output.

I would also recommend reading the application notes listed on the
DCP02 product page:

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folder...dcp021205.html

These things can generate a lot of RFI, so you have to watch this. The
transformer has some healthy ringing at around 55MHz. Using ferrite
bead and ceramic cap filters on the outputs is strongly recommended.
If you have more than one DCP02 in a box then make sure that they are
synchronized (best to use polyphase) to avoid beat frequencies, and to
avoid simultaneous current peaks on the input supply.

Greg Neff
VP Engineering
*Microsym* Computers Inc.