Spehro Pefhany

Default Reliability of TI/BB DCP02 DC-DC converters

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 12:50:50 -0400, the renowned Greg Neff
wrote:

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 15:37:27 GMT, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

Hello:-

I'm just wrapping up a design that includes a DCP-02 12V:5V isolated
unregulated 600kHz DC-DC converter. Everything seems straightforward,
the unit is supposed to include thermal shutdown at 150°C chip
temperature which should typically protect the converter if the output
is inadvertently overloaded. This project will see wide Ta range.

However, I've just run across a tray of bad DCP-02 units of unknown
origin- containing about 50 duff units, and also I recently came
across a hobbyist who had problems with his dying recently. This can
be explained away by assuming that those people were not obeying the
rather strict abs. max. input voltage rating (15V for the 12V units,
for example), but I'd sure like to know any info to the contrary.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

We don't use the specific DCP021205 that you are asking about, but we
have used a few thousand DCP02 converters (different voltages) over
the past few years. These are used in rail car applications, with
ambient temperatures in the enclosure getting close to +85C. We are
required to not exceed 50% of the load rating on any power supply or
DC-DC converter, so we don't push them as hard as many people would.
That having been said, we have been very happy with their reliability.
As far as I know, we have not had any fail yet in the field, and I
haven't heard about any fallout in production test and burn in.

Thanks a lot, Greg, that's what I needed to hear- from the right kind
of source. We won't be pushing them either, power-wise, but the Ta may
approach 85°C.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany