The Natural Philosopher

Default Central Heating question

Mike Hibbert wrote:

Hi all,

I have been thinking about my central heating this morning as it seems to be
getting very toasty at the moment. We have a Combi boiler (Worcester Bosch
Highflow 400) which has a heat setting on it. There are TRV on all the rads
(except the bathroom - I assume to stop the boiler overheating if the TRV's
shut off) , but we dont have a room stat.

Are the TRV's really temperature controlled or do they simply reduce the
amount of water the rad can get? If that is the case, then with no room
stat, the only way I can control the overall temperature is by the boiler,
so I have to go into the garage and turn it down/up. Is this a normal set
up?

Each TRV shuts down when its room gets warm enough.

Eventually teh heat loss from te hot water is so low, that teh boiler
shuts off as return flow temps exceed 60.

Your pump will run all the time, but the boiler won't.

Normally I would leave the heating on 24*7 during the winter and control it
via the room stat so it would get to a reasonable temp and then switch off,
but now if I leave the heating on the boiler tuns all the time (this must be
expensive!!) and the bathroom is like a sauna. The missus loves it, but I
guess the heating bills will be huge!

Not necessarily. You COULD fit a stat, but why bother? Better if teh
house is decentluy insulated to run teh CH off a timer and set it to
come on at susnet, and go off around midnight, and again a little before
dawn.

Any thoughts?

Mike