Spehro Pefhany

Default Reliability of TI/BB DCP02 DC-DC converters

Hello:-

I'm just wrapping up a design that includes a DCP-02 12V:5V isolated
unregulated 600kHz DC-DC converter. Everything seems straightforward,
the unit is supposed to include thermal shutdown at 150°C chip
temperature which should typically protect the converter if the output
is inadvertently overloaded. This project will see wide Ta range.

However, I've just run across a tray of bad DCP-02 units of unknown
origin- containing about 50 duff units, and also I recently came
across a hobbyist who had problems with his dying recently. This can
be explained away by assuming that those people were not obeying the
rather strict abs. max. input voltage rating (15V for the 12V units,
for example), but I'd sure like to know any info to the contrary.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany