Posted to rec.woodworking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Woodcraft vs Rockler

On 2016-10-28, woodchucker wrote:

then you of all people know that HSS is not as light duty as the lowes
chart claims.

I do. HSS is all you really need fer any wood or metal.

Usta grind my own HSS lathe bits (w/ chip breaker) to turn 1-1/2" thk
X 18" dia SS Flanges. We only got into carbide bits much later. as
they became more popular and available fer production machining. I
was wondering about those "titanium" and "black oxide" drill bits and
other weirdness I see at hardware chain stores in bubble paks. I
didn't know they were merely titanium and blk oxide "coated" HSS. I
don't recall seeing "HSS" on the bubble card, anywhere.

nb