Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Woodcraft vs Rockler

On 2016-10-28, OFWW wrote:
On their generic stuff is their anyone that has used both and see any
difference in overall quality in things like chisels, router bits,
Forstner bits. speaking of woodriver vs Rockler ??

Like I thought I got a good deal on a set but only got about 15 or so
holes using a 3/4? bit, and the young lady at their store said yep,
that is about all they are good for.

So I figured well at least I got a few good holes, and when I replace
it, I'll go for a better brand. But I don't see any with carbide
cutting surfaces. At least not yet.

I penned about 4 paragraphs, then found this:

https://www.lowes.com/projects/woodworking-and-crafts/drill-bits-buying-guide/article

nb

That was such BS.
HSS for just aluminum, really ..

So most of the milling bits are HSS, I use HSS bits for steel all the
time, I cut other HSS with them.

the Cobalt bits I have are for harder tough to cut metals.

The thing about carbide is you need to spin it at a much higher speed to
work it.

--
Jeff