Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_5_] OFWW[_5_] is offline

Default Woodcraft vs Rockler

On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 08:04:38 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/27/2016 10:17 PM, OFWW wrote:
On their generic stuff is their anyone that has used both and see any
difference in overall quality in things like chisels, router bits,
Forstner bits. speaking of woodriver vs Rockler ??

Like I thought I got a good deal on a set but only got about 15 or so
holes using a 3/4? bit, and the young lady at their store said yep,
that is about all they are good for.

So I figured well at least I got a few good holes, and when I replace
it, I'll go for a better brand. But I don't see any with carbide
cutting surfaces. At least not yet.

I do find that Rocker is typically less expensive than Woodcraft and
that may be a regional thing.

As far as anything Chinese that cuts I would steer clear if you want
quality. I would hate to think that you have to get carbide to get an
edge that lasts, considering Forstner bits. I have an Austrian made set
of Forstner bits that I bought probably 30 years ago. Pretty much still
cut very well. I know that I have drilled many hundreds of holes with
the 1.375", bit a good substitute for a 35mm bit.

It finally wore out and I replaced with the Rockler carbide bit a few
years ago, it is simply "ok".

Look for HSS drill bits and you will do much better.

I'll try that, I dbl checked the woodriver set and they didn't say.
Funny thing is they start off with the same line as their Carbide 35mm
bit.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/147...e-bit-set.aspx

These do burn if not kept within the specified RPM of the size. Even
then it depends on the wood drilled.