Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Success TIG welding brass

On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 16:42:39 +1100, Jon Anderson
wrote:

Eric,

Years ago I worked in a sheetmetal shop, at one point we were doing
sheetmetal for a place that made high end consumer gas stoves.
They decided to make some with a brass front panel, we had to TIG the
corners. No attempt was made to select a proper filler rod, boss had us
use standard brazing rod. Soon after getting a puddle, the zinc would
start to fume out vigorously. Frankly I don't recall if I used AC or DC,
but fairly sure it was AC. We had the Syncrowave 350, I ended up using
the pulse feature. High heat just long enough to get a puddle and add
some rod, then back off to let it cool. Still got some zinc fuming out,
but it worked pretty darn good. Miller about that time did an article on
the shop and I got an honorable mention for that.

If you have the pulse feature, give it a try.

Regards,

Jon

---

Greetings Jon,
I did try the pulse feature a little on AC. It seemed to help some. I
have almost zero experience with using the pulse on either AC or DC.
Maybe 5 minutes total. So I will practice to get some more pulse time
under my belt on easy to weld stuff and try again welding high zinc
alloys. I can see how pulsing would work.
Thanks,
Eric