Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Woodcraft vs Rockler

On 10/27/16 11:15 PM, OFWW wrote:
On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 22:55:04 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 10/27/16 10:17 PM, OFWW wrote:
On their generic stuff is their anyone that has used both and see any
difference in overall quality in things like chisels, router bits,
Forstner bits. speaking of woodriver vs Rockler ??

Like I thought I got a good deal on a set but only got about 15 or so
holes using a 3/4? bit, and the young lady at their store said yep,
that is about all they are good for.

So I figured well at least I got a few good holes, and when I replace
it, I'll go for a better brand. But I don't see any with carbide
cutting surfaces. At least not yet.

Both of their house brand stuff is the same Chiwanese crap.
It is what it is. Take any house branded tools in either store, divide
the price in half, and if it woulds too good to be true, it is.

If you need something for hundreds of holes, like a 35mm (1-3/8")
concealed hinge Forstner bit, go with something name-brand and not the
house generic.

I pick up their stuff when it goes on sale for 50% off and consider it
"bonus" tools that I keep in the van for when I need it. But I never,
ever consider any of the Woo-Driver or Rockler Blue ****e production
quality tools.

I was afraid of that.

When I was working for a living I remember a wood bit that came out
that had a head like a Forstner bit, short shank but it was touted as
being able to almost make a U turn in the wood. Well it can in real
handy for running copper tubing, and power in the studs and headers of
walls and lasted, well long enough I don't remember buying any more
when one got lost or a new guy came in.

When I saw these Forstner bits for wood working I though Great, they
must even be better. Bah humbug, wasn't the case.

I just bought three different 3/4 bits at Home despot, one or two?
With carbide, going to see which works better. All Name brands.

For my router bits I now go to a sharpening shop where they actually
stock the good stuff. Oddly the prices aren't all that much different
for one-offs.

I have to back off on my statement a bit. (--- PUN!)
I just went out and checked the bit I was thinking of when I wrote that
and it turns out it was, in fact, the Woodcraft Woodriver brand.
This one...
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/142...pped-35mm.aspx

However, as you can see, it's not exactly cheap. It's carbide tipped
and very well made. This thing drilled a few hundred hinge holes in oak
cabinet doors and is still very sharp.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)