Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Success TIG welding brass

On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 12:31:53 -0700
wrote:

In the past I have TIG welded brass using DC and silicon bronze filler
wire. Really crappy stuff to weld. A while back, before I got my new
welder, I had to TIG weld some manganese bronze which is about 30%
zinc and really crappy stuff to weld. To weld it I had to use AC and
aluminum bronze filler wire. So yesterday I thought I would give my
new square wave welder a shot welding brass and manganese bronze. I
used silicon bronze filler, AC at 150 Hz. and 90% penetration
balance. For both alloys the welds were better than the previous
methods used. I tried again DC and the welding sucked. I tried 140 and
130 Hz. frequency AC and the welding didn't go as well as using 150
Hz. I also tried different amounts of AC balance and the 90% worked
best. I am really sold on square wave AC for some types of welding.
When I get some more aluminum bronze filler wire I'll try welding the
manganese bronze again to see if it will work better that silicon
bronze filler.
Eric

Jody made a video last week on TIG brazing that showed how cleaning
action helped. You could see it in the arc shots. Pretty cool stuff.
Nice to hear it worked well for you too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf-Cq5eQmt0

and you really should listen to the podcast Jody, Jonathan and Roy are
making he

http://wttpodcast.libsyn.com/

They are discussing really cool TIG stuff here and there...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b