Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default DIY fun

On 27/10/2016 15:32, Andrew wrote:
On 26/10/2016 18:42, Simon Mason wrote:
On Wednesday, 26 October 2016 18:23:48 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"pamela" wrote in message

Do you happen to know what your jape cost the NHS?

I doubt even the NHS knows that.

Since I had paid 40 years of tax and NI, I was well in credit. I took
a tin of Celebrations

Irrelevent. It is the amount of tax and NI that is paid, not the mere
fact that you paid any. The taxes you paid were spent by the govt
as they received it on NHS, roads, education, defence, emergency
services, etc etc.

Only the top 10% of taxpayers actually pay more in taxes than they cost
in public services.

A couple with just 2 kids needs to have a family income which, if
earned by one person would put them into higher rate tax. This is
just to cover the £65,000 per child for free education, NHS,
maternity, vaccinations, occasional A&E visits etc, plus
subsidised local services (council tax only pays half what it
costs). Child benefit, London season tickets, etc etc.

You're all over the place there - double counting and excluding other
sources (not least indirect tax). Not read it all, but this seems to
raise some good points:

http://www.centreforcities.org/reader/10-years-tax/

And quite right that council tax is topped up, given that most of the
tax income is generated locally, then siphoned off to the centre.

Have more kids or earn less, *especially* if tax-credits and
housing benefit are claimed and you are being well subsidised
by others.

That's a very harsh way of representing some hard working people. People
who created the wealth but see very little of it.

--
Cheers, Rob