Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
graham[_5_] graham[_5_] is offline

Default New (to me) lathe

On 10/27/2016 11:36 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 10:25:59 -0600, graham wrote:

I have a General 160 (Canadian made) with a custom-made outboard
attachment. I had to use it a few weeks ago for a salad bowl and hated
it!
It was like trying to write left-handed as a right-handed person.
The Headstock casting is bolted to the base so I put in spacers and
longer bolts, added links to the belt and finished it inboard.
Graham

I've got the General "Maxi-lathe" where the headstock slides down the
ways (and turns). It's mounted on a heavy bench. I moved the outboard
attachment to the tailstock end. Now I just remove the tailstock and
slide the headstock down. Then I turn from the end of the bench instead
of the side. Works great for me.

Caveat: I still consider myself a beginner, so someone with more
experience (also known as set in their ways) might not agree :-).

My lathe pre-dates General International that made your lathe. I have
been seriously considering upgrading to a sliding headstock lathe.