Posted to alt.home.repair
Sterling Archer Sterling Archer is offline

Default How do I ask for free dirt?

Algeria Horan used his keyboard to write :
On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 09:05:42 -0400, TomR wrote:

But, I would be concerned that I would be asking a question that I do not
want to know the answer to. I would be concerned that simply by asking I
would then end up being subjected to a whole big permit and approval
process, and constant oversight of the process by regulators over the years
as I gradually had people dumping the clean fill dirt there.

I called the county again today, speaking to Jess at 299-5734, who told me
that the limit for a "grading permit" is 150 cubic yards, but ...

He says that if it's just one or two truck loads, then they don't expect us
to call them - but if it's a lot of truck loads (unspecified as to what
amount that is) then we should fill out paperwork with them to let them
know.

As you noted, they will come out and do an site inspection, but no "site
plan" is needed. Jess says that protects me if a neighbor calls them up so
they can tell the neighbor that they know all about it.

I'm not sure how much 150 cubic yards is, nor over what period, but I
assumed, from the conversation, that it was 150 cubic yards at any one time.

How much does a typical truck carry?

As with most things, it all depends. A typical tandem dump truck can
carry 18 yd3.

Have you considered how you are going to grade and compact the
material? What about dust abatement and storm water run off control.

California is a bitch about such issues.