Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
graham[_5_] graham[_5_] is offline

Default New (to me) lathe

On 10/27/2016 8:32 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
I had a Jet 1442 for a number of years and, while it was a decent enough lathe, it had some limitations I was finding more and more frustrating. I looked at a Robust, liked what I saw, but had sticker shock. Then a man in the woodturner's club in Birmingham (Al) put an older Woodfast M910 up for sale. It had the features I was looking for and the price was right.

I am still learning it unique aspects, but have learned one thing. Every time I think the lathe is coming up short, its the nut with the gouge in his had that has made an oops.

A testimony as to just how good this lathe is is that it is still being built under license in Europe (Holzprofi) and here in the US (Rikon 70-500) and in Australia, 18yrs after the date my lathe was built, and with only minor cosmetic changes.

I wanted an outboard turning setup and can buy a direct bolt on from Rikon. Not too bad for an old lathe. ;-)

Deb

I have a General 160 (Canadian made) with a custom-made outboard
attachment. I had to use it a few weeks ago for a salad bowl and hated
it! It was like trying to write left-handed as a right-handed person.
The Headstock casting is bolted to the base so I put in spacers and
longer bolts, added links to the belt and finished it inboard.
Graham