Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe DeLoughan Moe DeLoughan is offline

Default Cleaning gutters

On 10/27/2016 6:31 AM, Frank wrote:
On 10/27/2016 6:50 AM, bob haller wrote:
On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 10:47:08 PM UTC-4, Gordon Shumway
wrote:
I am really tired of cleaning out our gutters every year. Over the
years I have seen various commercials for gutter
guards, leaf guards, gutter screens and whatever.

Has anyone got any recommendations or warnings on the variety of
"solutions" currently on the market?

Thanks

the screen guards are a waste of money. had them on my moms house.
true they keep out large leaves, but small stuff fragments and gets
under the screen.

so you have to remove thescreen to clean the debris out.......

That's been my experience. It can be surprising how much little stuff
can accumulate.

True, but it means cleaning the gutters every 3-4 years, instead of
every year. Still an improvement.

There are gutter-cleaning robots on the market now, but reviews are
mixed as to how well they perform. I've watched video - the debris is
flung out in all directions, meaning some of it lands on the roof,
where it will eventually blow/wash back down into the gutter. And the
more crud that's in the gutter, the worse the robot performs. Figures.

I've imagined a hinged gutter system, where one would use a pole to
reach up and unlock the gutter at both ends, let the gutter hang free
on its hinges, hose it clean, then use the pole to push/relock the
gutter back into place. Or maybe gutters with removable bottoms, where
you'd slide the bottom out from one end, let all the crud drop free,
then slid the bottom back into place. I dunno - there's got to be a
better way.