Posted to uk.d-i-y
Handsome Jack Handsome Jack is offline

Default moulded plugs

Clive George posted
On 26/10/2016 18:32, Handsome Jack wrote:

People didn't generally used to buy plugs. They bought appliances with
plugs already fitted, with the correct fuse in them. But they were good
plugs, not the moulded rubbish we get today.

Are you quite young?

Sixty.

The rules saying appliances had to have a plug fitted came in 1994, and
before that appliances generally didn't have plugs fitted.

Most did. A few didn't.

Moulded ones will be cheaper and easier for the manufacturer to deal
with, so seem to be the obvious choice.

But less cheap and easy for the consumer to deal with.

Granted there may be some crap out there, but I've not had a problem
with things I've bought.

The 'problem' is the one I described in the OP.

--
Jack