Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default moulded plugs

"Handsome Jack" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" posted
In article ,
Handsome Jack wrote:
Recently I had to replace a washing machine. As always nowadays, it came
with a moulded plug. As the electrical socket is above the worktop, I
had to cut this plug off, feed the cable through the (existing) hole in
the worktop, and put on a new plug (non-moulded, obviously).

I can't help feeling this would be disapproved of by TPTB, but what else
could I possibly do? What is the point of moulded plugs when one usually
has to cut them off and replace them?

Absolutely fine if you've fitted the new plug correctly.

Is that really so difficult? Uneducated people, some even Brexit-voters,
have been doing it for decades without too many problems.

But do you end up
doing this with everything that comes with a fitted plug?

Only if the appliance is below the worktop (or shelving) and the socket is
above it.

My wife wouldn't like me cutting huge plug-shaped holes in her worktops.
Nor would I.

But even you should be able to work out how to have sockets
below the worktop if someone was actually stupid enough to
lend you a seeing eye dog and a white cane.