Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I ask for free dirt?

On 10/25/16 7:40 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/25/2016 7:38 PM, Algeria Horan wrote:

Thanks. I thought about using crud at the bottom, but if I can get
"the good
stuff", I don't see why I'd want chunks of concrete even if they're
covered
by a layer of good stuff.

Perhaps you should talk to a pro about it. How deep is the area to be
filled? What is the best fill for your situation? What is the use of
the area filled going to be? Are wetlands involved? Will it divert
water flow? Drainage?

You won't want organic stuff that will rot over time and possibly
contaminate groundwater. It will decompose and make potential sink
holes. While you say you don't want concrete slab, they are stable and
may make the ground better over time.

You may be able to do whatever you like but you may have DEP
restrictions that could get you big fines if you screw up.

That leads to another question. Does this big hollow ever
hold water?
You might be surprised what the Feds call a wetland.