Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oscillator installation orientation

On Tuesday, 25 October 2016 20:22:55 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 25/10/16 18:33, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 25 October 2016 18:14:18 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 25/10/16 17:15, Michael Chare wrote:

Would an elecrical oscillator such as the small ones shown in this
picture mind which way round they are installed?

http://tinyurl.com/jhfjnhd

If it's a quartz crystal, no.

If it's a whole circuit to make an oscillator, yes of course, it will
have a +ve and -ve, and generally an output too.

that photo is not of 'oscillators' of course. It's of crystals. They are
*part* of an oscillator.

2 terminal oscillators are certainly possible. But they're just crystals.

I've never seen a crystal oscillate on its own.

FWLIW I expect they do, moving back and forth due to environmental vibration. With high Q they can't build up much movement, but it's not zero.

NT