Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword James Wilkinson Sword is offline

Default Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 02:35:00 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 21:14:53 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 00:11:46 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 22:38:11 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 07:02:15 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 19:27:45 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
On 15/10/2016 09:44, alan_m wrote:
On 15/10/2016 01:23, David Paste wrote:
am I barking up the
wrong tree to assume an SSD will improve the snappiness of the
user
interface?)

When I replaced a traditional hard disk in my 5 year old laptop
with
SSD I noticed a faster start up but for day to day use no
overall
difference in speed.

Hmm! that hasn't been my experience. I've changed several
laptops
SSDs
and *everything* is much snappier.

Only with the laptops that dont have enough physical memory.

Bull****.

We'll see...

My desktop has 32GB and the SSD still makes an enormous
difference.

Not to anything except the time to start from a full reboot and
with launching apps that are very disk intensive when starting..

Or when in use.

There are **** all of those that most use much.

Anyone with even half a clue only reboots every few months and
doesnt
close apps at all.

I only have open the apps I'm using.

More fool you.

It's tidier.

Its stupid.

Why have more clutter on the taskbar?

Makes no difference what so ever to the taskbar when you use
that properly as where you start apps that you use much.

I use about 20 programs, and about 5 in one day. Stupid to leave all
20
open.

Not when you have enough physical memory so the system doesnt swap.

Only a fool like you closes them so it has to wait for them
to open again, particularly with the slowest opening apps.

I've explained this already

Nope.

- if you have enough physical memory not to swap, then if you closed the
program, it would be in the disk cache in memory anyway,

Wrong when you have done anything useful with your
data like watch some movies or recorded TV etc.

and still open fast.

Doesnt work like that with the slowest opening **** like firefox.

With my SSD, that's fast the first time anyway.

Still slower than not closing it, just switching to it.

No, it appears instantly as far as my brain's concerned. There's no point in loading a program in less than 20ms.

I have 32GB RAM, and the 2nd and subsequent times I open any program
after
the last reboot, they appear instantaneously, with zero disk access..

Still no point in closing apps you wont be using for a while. The act of
closing
it and opening it again is completely pointless even if it is instant.