Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default How do I ask for free dirt?

In ,
Stormin' Norman typed:
On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 08:12:59 -0700, Algeria Horan
wrote:

Over the years, I have seen people put signs up giving away free
dirt, but now when I want some, I don't know where to find it.

I have a long-term need for free "decent" dirt, and by decent I just
mean not filled with trees, concrete, junk, or whatever.
. . . ,
If I put an ad in craigslist, I am not sure what to ask for.
. . . ,

Ask for "Clean Fill"

If there are any large construction projects in your area, you can
stop and talk to the site supervisor and ask if they need to dispose
of any surplus clean fill. Most projects either need clean fill or
need to dispose of it.
. . . ,

I agree in general. Always keep checking the local construction projects.
They are often looking for a close-by place to dump the fill dirt for free.

Also, go to the "For Sale" section of your local Craigslist website and do a
search for "fill dirt" (without the quotation marks). You will see lots of
ads -- some are free, some want money, some will also deliver for free, etc.
And, keep checking every week because new ads pop up all the time. For
example, one such ad just popped up in my area about a week ago wanting to
deliver free fill dirt on October 24 when they were going to be doing
excavating.

As far as your Craigslist ad, I would say to just state Fill Dirt Wanted (or
Free Fill Dirt Wanted) in the title along with a town location in the title.
Don't add other words in the title -- just those words and the town
location. Craigslist allows you to put a map location in your ad, so you
could add that along with a marker on the map showing the general location.

And, of course, include in the text of the ad that you want it delivered for
free along with any other info about HOW it can be delivered. For example,
many times the dirt delivery option is via Tri-Axle Truck (as seen in many
of the Craigslist "Fill Dirt" ads). Most Tri-Axle Truck deliverers do not
want to go over curbs or sidewalks etc. to make the delivery because they do
not want the liability for any damage caused by the heavy vehicles. So, if
your delivery of free dirt won't involve them have to worry about that, it
would be a plus.