Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Most Likely Metal

"Randy333" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 17:59:00 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I know it just jars your sensibilities to spend money on a precision
ground
vise and modify it, but there just isn't an off the shelf vise that will
do
the job. Atleast not one I could find. I either make a vise or modify
one.
I value my time, so modifying one was the best solution for me. Besides I
still don't have a surface grinder.

From what I've seen surface grinders can be had cheap. I sold an old
mechanical feed 8 x 24 for $400 and bought a beautiful 8 x 24 B & S
Micromaster for $2000. I've seen hand feed 5 x 10 go for under $100.

I keep looking at them. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I may need
one eventually for some hybrid machine builds I've been working on for a
while, but so far I am still trying to to work out off the shelf and machine
to fit solutions to the problems.