Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] jrwalliker@gmail.com is offline

Default Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu

On Monday, 24 October 2016 12:03:49 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
On Saturday, 22 October 2016 00:11:52 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message

I use about 20 programs, and about 5 in one day. Stupid to leave all
20
open.

Not when you have enough physical memory so the system doesnt swap.

Only a fool like you closes them so it has to wait for them
to open again, particularly with the slowest opening apps.

I disagree. It is very sensible to shut down programs that are
not being actively used.

We'll see...

Most notebook and desktop computers do not have
ECC memory, so occasionally there will be single-bit
errors from cosmic rays or alpha particles emitted by
contamination in the encapsulation of the memory chips.

And the most that will do is see the app crash in the unlikely
event that that particular byte gets corrupted like that.

Hardly the end of civilisation as we know it any time soon.

These errors will accumulate over time and may eventually cause the
programs to misbehave in ways that are not necessarily easy to detect.

If you dont detect it in the document or
whatever its responsible for, it doesnt matter.

See: "DRAM Errors in the Wild: A Large-Scale Field Study"
research.google.com/pubs/archive/35162.pdf

See above.

That is an interesting approach to data integrity. A brave approach
perhaps.

John