Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Missing the good old days.

graham wrote in :

I was a member briefly when a UK food group collapsed and the main
people migrated to FB. However, it raided my e-mail address book
without my knowledge or permission and kept inviting me to "friend"
others. Also, every time someone farted they updated their page and I
received immediate notification.
The annoying thing is that they still have my basic data and should I
foolishly log on, I'll be swamped with messages again.
Graham

You can turn those notifications off. One of the first things I did was
turned almost everything off and set only the notifications I wanted to
e-mail. I also tightened security as much as possible. Most things are
shared by default, so I turned all that junk off.

Facebook does suggest a lot of possible friends, and that's one of the
reasons it's so popular. It's so easy to add more people. You friend
Backchecker and Pylon, and Backchecker and Pylon have friended Goal
Scorer so it figures you might want to friend Goal Scorer too and makes
it easy. After some calibration, though, that part gets deemphasized.
(You'll initially get a flood of people who want to friend you. Not all
of them you know or even care about.)

I do NOT have an e-mail address book, if I want to e-mail someone again I
have to look their address up in my inbox. Too many problems with
address books, like someone's account is compromised and an e-mail is
sent to everybody.

It's too bad Yahoo! killed itself. For discussion groups, they could
have been a great Facebook alternative. They're walking dead, and the
worst thing is their CEO knows how to fix it! She said "we didn't focus
on making one or two key products great, we spread out too much."
Miranda, hire me and give me the power to fix it and you won't have to
sell the company!

Puckdropper