Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Which color laser?

How big a board are you talking about ?
Will a cnc machine do the job - there are companies that make enclosed
lasers.
Martin

On 10/22/2016 9:50 AM, rangerssuck wrote:
On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 4:19:24 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I must be looking in the wrong places because I have not yet been able
to find out which metals absorb which frequencies of light best. I am
looking at heating various metals with a laser so I need to know which
laser will work best for which metal. Anybody here have any pointers?
Thanks,
Eric

I've done some looking into laser etching circuit boards. Apparently, it reflects so much IR that it's virtually impossible with IR or visible lasers. There ARE machines that do it, but insanely expensive (quarter-million dollar range) with UV lasers. I have not looked much further other than to have read various dire warnings about the dangers of UV lasers - "you'll shoot your eye out" sort of things. One day, I'll find the time to get back to this.