Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default Drywall seams not matching up during shower rebuild

"Chris Jenkins" wrote

Yeah, option 1 seems to be the best answer, short of tearing out the walls
of the entire bathroom (very small room, so not an impossible task) and
starting over so that everything is as it should be. In the original (or at
least most recent) build

they seem to have done exactly what you described, except for instead of
using compound to feather out the depth difference where the wall is "low"
they used the grout they used for the shower to fill in the "wedge" of space
under the tiles above the low point of the wall.

Ick.

Figure I could do something similar with paintable caulk and just match to
the new wall color, but I'm going to be doing some patching due to minor
wall damage during teardown, so I figured it would be a better solution to
try to build up that low point of the wall and feather out.

Yes. building up grout or filling with caulking will
look tacky.

Would this be with standard drywall joint compound,
or would there be another recommended product?

I start with Durabond 90 for anything but light coating.
It mixes with water and dries to something like
non-brittle plaster. You can build up a thick coat on
the first coat and get a very strong base. (Normal
compound cracks easily in a thick coat.) I then finish
with lightweight joint
compound. Just the regular stuff. There's EZ Sand for
topcoating if you're in a hurry, but that doesn't sponge
well and costs more, so there's no real benefit except
where it all needs to be done in one day.