Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default How to deal with police at a DUI checkpoint

On 10/17/2016 5:56 PM, Diesel wrote:
trader_4
Mon, 17
Oct 2016 16:15:36 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Are you for real? Let's say you think the cops in this case
didn't have any right to detain the guy. That isn't true, this
has been litigated, DUI stops have been found constitutional. But
let's say you believe the cops don't have the right to detain you.

http://www.duicenter.com/index.php/l...ception01.html

It's a long read, but, possibly very educational for you. Since you
wanted to bring up the constitutional aspects. It has been ligitated,
many times, and various states have taken it upon themselves to
overturn convictions based on the fact, the supreme court chose not
to protect citizens in favor of lobbyist and paid for 'laws'.

You don't see any difference in that and some civilian criminal
detaining you for no possible legal reason? A deranged boyfriend
restraining and locking up his GF is the same as a DUI checkpoint?
WTF?

I have no idea where you make such a crazy comparison to what I
wrote.

All the cops I ever engaged with treated me fairly and I think in
most cases they had my best interests at heart.

I'm glad you've had positive experiences with the police. I cannot
claim the same. I don't trust them, I know for a fact they lie (even
in court, under oath). And, I've had very little police encounters. I
try to avoid dealing with them whenever possible.

safety, but other than that, the cops have been very nice and
helpful to me.

For you. You aren't everyone else, though.

In this case, unless you were drunk, it's obvious why you were
being stopped. It was a legal DUI checkpoint.

The legality of the checkpoints is still being challenged in court.
With various convictions being overturned as a result. Some states do
protect their own citizens when the 'supreme' court gets it wrong.

This is not nazi germany, I do not have to show you my papers just
because you asked for them. I do not have to roll down my window so
you can lie and claim you smelled alcohol on me to get probable cause
to continue with the bull**** stop, either.

And, contrary to what the officer claimed on the video, if you do
decide to turn around and not roll through it, you'll get pulled over
by a cruiser that has now decided to pursue you. Been there, done
that.

I asked him why he stopped me, he said I was avoiding the dui
checkpoint. I asked if that was illegal, he said, technically no, but
it makes you suspicious. I asked if I was being detained, he said no.
I asked if I was free to leave (I had to ask multiple times, because
he tried to ignore me and continue asking for me to roll down my
window further and show him my drivers license). Eventually, he said,
Yes you're free to leave. And I did. Without rolling my window down
far or showing my license. He had no right to stop me and he knew it.

At one point, TN had a 'driver license' checkpoint which wasn't
legal. The cops would tell you it was, though. You know they can lie
to you and it's okay, right?

Sounds like you are an obvious victim of white privilege.

Would you recommend that a black friend try any of this?