Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare[_4_] Michael Chare[_4_] is offline

Default 'Double locking' a DG front door?

On 20/10/2016 16:35, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 14:16:15 +0100, Michael Chare
wrote:

On 20/10/2016 11:27, T i m wrote:

The problem is ... to get the lock out I think you have to first
remove the shoot bolts and to do that you probably have to take the
door off (especially for the bottom). Then, once you are in that
position and you then find out the lock really needs replacing then
you have to put it all together again to order the parts to do the
whole thing again some time later?

Exactly! I suggest that you take the existing spindle out to see if it
has the flats. If it has the flats, I would also rotate it 90 deg just
to make sure that it has not been put in incorrectly. I am not sure if
they work or not if 90 deg wrong.

The thing is ... none of this has been touched and until this recent
incident, has been working 'just fine', especially the spilt spindle
thing?

That's not to say it not might all appreciate a drop of oil or smear
of grease etc but I feel it's more to do with the deadlock than
anything else. I guess the spindle could have an impact if it stopped
the handle lifting the shoot bolts high enough to allow the cylinder
cam to turn, but it does seem to work ok for the first lock position,
just not the double?

I might take the cover plate off again (but this time in the daylight)
and see if I can see anything more.

Cheers, T i m

The door I have had a square spindle, no flats. You could turn the key
once to lock the door, but you could not lift the handle. It had
clearly never worked properly. The outside handle had rusted to the
spindle which is partly why I just filed the spindle. We have another
similar door, which is how I found out where to file the flats.

If your door worked properly it must have had a spindle with two flats.
It is possible that the handle has been removed, and then replaced with
the spindle in the wrong position. I suspect you can't raise the handle
if the spindle is removed, rotated 90 deg and then replaced.

I would try raising the handle with the door open just in case the shoot
bolts are not entering the frame properly.

--
Michael Chare

---