Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare[_4_] Michael Chare[_4_] is offline

Default 'Double locking' a DG front door?

On 19/10/2016 23:11, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 22:39:50 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

snip
Looking at it briefly tonight it seems that it does indeed double lock
and that 'may' cause the deadbolt to move out in two stages.

However, you can't (now?) turn the key completely twice but only 1.5
turns, but you can't then get the key out till you turn it back the .5
turns. It does however seem to take two turns to fully unlock the door
again (or was it 2.5 so you could get the key out again). The point is
just one turn doesn't unlock the door.

snip

Yes, I've got a double locking aluminium door. Turning the key through
360 degrees the second time does indeed shoot the bolt further into the
frame, making it more secure.

Ok thanks ... so she's not lost her marbles then. ;-)

What happens if you turn the key with the door open?

The same (as it happens).

Can you then turn
it through two full turns and remove the key?

No, I don't believe so Roger.

If so, there's something
wrong with the alignment - stopping the bolt from moving fully when the
door is closed.

Understood (and why I checked).

'Fraid I can't explain why it takes more turns to unlock it than to lock it!

Now I know it does double lock, and from what you have confirmed re
how, I think it seems to be coming out too far on stage one and
possibly ending up between stages? So, unwinding the key (720 Deg) may
still withdraw it as it should? shrug

The Mrs though she heard something falling down inside the door as
they first looked into it so maybe something has worn out / off or
come unscrewed etc?

Looking into replacements it seems the 'split spindle' (allowing the
outer handle to move independently of the inner and not allow the door
to be opened from the outside without the key under any circumstances)
has (now) been re-engineered and so also replaceable.

Assuming this is the right / same one:

http://upvcspares4repairs.co.uk/upvc...n-everest.html

Cheers, T i m

I have an Everest door with that lock.

You just need to file two flats on a square spindle where it passes
through the lock. The flats should be on diagonally opposite corners of
the spindle as viewed end on. DIY solution to avoid paying £14.07!

There will then be two ways the spindle will go in and I can't remember
which is right. If you can't get both handles off your existing splindle
I could find out.

- As I found out after I had taken the door off and then taken the lock
to pieces.

--
Michael Chare

---